Sindelfingen with a city population of approximately 64.000 inhabitants is located in the Southwest of Germany, in Baden-Württemberg. It forms part of the Stuttgart metropolitan region, a predominantly urban agglomateration, where app. 3 mio people live. Sindelfingen thus belongs to one of the most innovative regions in Europe.
Sindelfingen has a lot to offer: Founded in 1263, the city is characterized by a charming historic city centre with timberframed houses and the Martin’s Church, one of the oldest Romanesque churches in Württemberg. Furthermore the city embraces nature with its extensive forest paths and numerous parks.
With app. 20% inhabitants of foreign origin, Sindelfingen is an international city. Its international character is expressed via lively exchange activities with its seven town twinnings and the “International Street Festival” which takes place each year in June. Sindelfingen city administration has its own European Affairs Department, which is actively involved in a range of international city networks and EU-initiatives and which promotes European Affairs and EU-policy awareness in the city.
Economically, Sindelfingen is also known as “car-town”: Sindelfingen is home to the largest production plant of Daimler AG in the world, where approx. 36,000 people are employed. Every day, approximately 2,000 vehicles are manufactured at the plant. Sindelfingen also hosts Mercedes Technology Center, a modern research, design and development centre for the automotive industry.
Apart from the automotive industry, Sindelfingen is economically strong in the fashion sector (B2B), retail and engineering.
The town is active in promoting trade and industry. This includes the development of the “Flugfeld”, a former airfield that is now undergoing redevelopment and covers approximately 80 hectares (almost 200 acres). At Flugfeld, a modern combination of business locations and residential areas are located next to each other. Flugfeld is also being developed as a prime location for the aerospace industry. For this purpose, the town of Sindelfingen receives funding from the European Regional Development Fund to support cluster development in the aerospace sector.
The promotion of children and young people’s talents is one of the key objectives of Sindelfingen city policy. Sindelfingen has altogether more than 20 schools.
During the last years Sindelfingen has been investing in the school infrastructure and facilities for full-time-schools. Furthermore it promotes innovative educational concepts at its children’s daycare facilities. Each year the “Sindelfingen Knowledge Days” take place which foster innovative approaches to learning and offer a variety of non-formal-learning events and workshops.
Sindelfingen was founded in 1263 by the Count Rudolf Scherer of Tübingen-Herrenberg. In 1351 the city was sold to Württemberg. The new rulers led the Reformation in 1535. Sindelfingen, however, remained an insignificant provincial town. In the 19th Century when mechanical mills were introduced, Sindelfingen gained in importance,standing with a strong textile and weaving industry. In 1850 Sindelfingen had 4304, predominantly protestant, inhabitants.
During the 20th century, Sindelfingen became an important industrial location. The Daimler plant was built in 1914 in Sindelfingen; furthermore DEMOHAS (which was later sold on to IBM) had its headquarters in Sindelfingen.
During the Second World War the Daimler company was one of the largest stakeholders in the arms and defence industry. This was one of the reasons, why Sindelfingen was hit hard by counter-attacks by the allied forces during the end of WWII. However, due to its relative wealth, large parts have been rebuilt during the 50s and 60s and there has been enormous population increase: While the city had approx. 8500 inhabitants by the end of WWII, there were about 20.000 inhabitants in 1957.
Sindelfingen is located in the Southwest of Germany and it is part of the state of Baden-Württemberg. It belongs to the Stuttgart metropolitan region and forms the largest city in the district of Böblingen. With three slip roads to the motorway A 81 Sindelfingen offers easy access tothe whole region. Black Forest and Swabian Alb are not more than a one-hour drive away, it takes approx. two hours to get to Lake Constance and Switzerland. The state capital Stuttgart is only 15 km away.
Contact person for Eurotowns
Florina Retzbach-Schmied, European Affairs Office
Martin Horn, European Affairs Office
ph +49 7031/94-403